top of page
  • Writer's pictureSarah Lawrence

International Guide to Living and Working in Australia

Updated: Aug 8, 2022

Are you an international teacher or integration aide looking to work and live in Australia? Look no further! We have an easy guide and the requirements needed to support you on your journey to teaching with Free Agency in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia!

Applying for a Visa -

Applying for VIT Registration -

To work within Victorian schools as a primary or secondary teacher, you’ll need your Victorian Institute of Teaching (VIT) provisional or full registration. Once you have provided your documentation to the VIT, they will advise you of the outcome, and if you are successful in registering, they will provide you with a registration number. As an international teacher, you will likely need to provide additional information, and a police check from your country as well. Once you have a VIT number, you are eligible to teach within Victorian schools. For more information, please visit the VIT Website.

Applying for Working With Children Check (WWCC) Registration -

To work as an integration aide or early childhood educator, you will need an Employee Working with Children Check (WWCC).

A Working with Children Check will check your eligibility to work or volunteer within the education sector or early childhood learning centres. If you already have your VIT registration, you do not need to apply for a WWCC. For more information, please visit the WWCC Website.

Applying for a Tax File Number -

To work in Australia, you will need to arrange a tax file number. This can be done very easily, and is free to sort out, however it might take a few weeks for them to provide your individual number. This needs to be arranged once you’ve arrived in Australia. For more information, visit the ATO website.

Applying for a Superannuation Fund -

In Australia, businesses are required to pay a percentage of your wage into a nominated Superannuation account. We can set you up with a Vic Super account once you have a tax file number. You are welcome to research other super funds, and apply for an alternative account if you come across one you like better, but you will need to notify us of this change via our Super Fund Form. For more information, check out the Money Smart website.

Applying for an Australian Bank Account -

In Australia, we have a number of great banking institutions, all of which are relatively easy to set up an account with. For more information on bank accounts within Australia, please visit this website: [LINK]

Need help deciding where to live?

There are many rental agencies which manage a large number of properties in the inner bay. Backpackers hostels in St Kilda are pumping with international Expats, and are relatively cheap to live while looking for something more concrete. Flatmates is another great resource if you’re looking for a room within an already established share house, or if you’re keen to find some new friends to share with.

When signing on to a new lease through an agent, you will be required to pay the first month’s rent and the bond (equivalent to a month of rent) to the real estate prior to collecting the keys. The bond will be held in trust until you vacate. If you are renting privately, an agreement of rental amount and bond amount will be negotiated between yourself and the Land Owner. Your utilities will need to be connected in your name, unless they’re included in the rent. As a tenant within a share house, you will be required to pay a portion of the rent, bond and bills. This should be discussed and agreed upon before moving in.

Public Transport in Victoria -

Melbourne has a great public transport network, which will make it easy for you to get around once you arrive. PT Vic has a great mobile app you can download, which can help you plan your trips, and you can pick up a Myki card to load up with funds from any train station and some tram stops.

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page